Riffs and licks are the often flashy embellishments added to singing to provide flare. Lari shares listening recommendations for hearing some of the masters use this technique, and then goes into how to actually deconstruct these types of embellishments so you can sing them yourself.
- Riffs and licks.…Love 'em or hate 'em,…they can be very powerful tools for a singer.…You don't have to use them at all.…Lots of wonderful singers never do fancy licks,…or impressive riffs.…They just go for gorgeous tone, and emotional delivery…and telling the story, and we love it.…But, if you're into digging into riffs and licks,…you can find a lot of impressive power…and fun stuff to do with them.…
For your listening list, I recommend Reba McEntire…in country music, one of the most skilled riffers…in country music.…Christina Aguilera, of course.…The woman has, I think she's got…one of the most technically-proficient instruments there is.…She's got such great control…and beautiful clarity in her licks.…For guys, one of my favorites lately is Chris Stapleton.…
But of course, there's always Stevie Wonder…if you really want to learn how to do tasteful riffs,…and tasteful licks.…I think Stevie's maybe the all-time best.…So here's the thing.…You aren't born knowing how to riff and lick.…You might be born with a very good ear,…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- Singing harmony and straight tone
- Crafting your vocal tone
- Using vibrato and messa di voce
- Working with the chest and head voice
- Singing in a low or high register
- Selecting a microphone for live performance and recording
- Understanding the Nashville Number System
Skill Level Beginner
1. Singing Harmony and Straight Tone
2. Crafting Your Vocal Tone
3. Working with the Chest and Head Voice
4. Exploring Vocal Textures and Styles
5. Singing Live
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.