Jeannie gives some practice tips on the just completed rib cage exercise. She lays out plans for how many repetitions should be done of it, as well as amount of rest you should be doing between reps. 3 sets, 10 reps per set, sit and rest for 2 minuets, then repeat. The exercises should take around 20 minuets total.
- Now I'm going to give you some tips…that will help your practicing.…First of all, this exercise is best done…with three sets of 10 repetitions per set,…so that's 30 altogether, but you do 10,…then sit down and rest for about two minutes.…You can even watch the clock,…because it really doesn't have to be a long break,…but you need let those muscles of your back especially,…maybe your arms, too, if they have weak muscles,…you want to let them relax, because muscles…develop after they've been exercised.…
You might not have known that,…so that's why when you do exercises…you do them in sets and you take a break,…and then you do another set of repetitions.…This exercise, again, is done three sets of 10 repetitions.…So you do 10, sit and rest for two minutes,…do another 10, sit, rest for two minutes,…do another 10, and you're done.…As long as you don't watch TV, answer telephones,…or dust your room in between each repetition,…it should take about 20 minutes.…
It's also best done in the morning if you can,…even prior to eating or something.…
Note: The course is part 2 of the Vocal Lessons with Jeannie Deva series, recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Improving breath management
- Relaxing your stomach
- Practicing rib cage exercises
- Using songs as warm-ups
- Strengthening your voice with lip trills and nose buzz
- Improving pitch and resonance
- Nailing song phrasing, timing, and dynamics
- Moving from practice to performance