The Pull-off is a versitile left hand technique that is commonly used in most styles of playing and is kind of like the opposite to a hammer-on. The technique involves pulling off a fretted finger without plucking the string essentially giving you more notes for less work. In this lesson Tony applies the technique to a version of "The Old Cat Died" played down the neck.
- Okay, let's put these 3-2 pull-offs to use in a…very cheery tune called, "The Old Cat Died".…Another fun, old-time tune, even though the subject of the…material is not fun, and another tune that I picked up from…the Carolina Chocolate Drops.…And, undoubtedly, it predated them.…(tuning banjo)…It goes like this.…(playing banjo)…(playing banjo faster)…So it's starts off very easily.…
Just first string.…Second string. Twice.…And then we just do the pull-off,…to the chord of third string.…Another two notes.…Twice.…Now we're going to bring in the Hammer-on.…We're actually going to integrate Hammer-ons,…pull-offs and slides, the whole thing in this one tune.…(playing banjo)…Thumb on the third pinch.…Repeat.…Pull-off up on third.…Pull-off up on third with the thumb.…Two notes.…Two notes again.…Hammer.…
Now you're going to repeat that hammer-on to start Part B.…(playing banjo)…Actually the last measure of Part A is exactly the same…as the first measure of Part B.…(playing banjo)…Two slides.…Alternating thumb.…'Nother hammer-on.…Just repeating that first measure again.…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Separating notes
- Playing with others
- Using the capo
- Playing hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Playing variations on classic tunes
- Minding your posture
- Training your ear
- Building speed
Skill Level Beginner
1. Playing with Others
2. Basic Embellishments
3. Variations on Basic Tunes
4. Posture and Ear Training
5. Playing Up the Neck and Building Speed
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.