The Pull-off is a versitile left hand technique that is commonly used in most styles of playing and is kind of like the opposite to a hammer-on. The technique involves pulling off a fretted finger without plucking the string essentially giving you more notes for less work. This lesson explores how this all works and Tony will show you the best way to get a clean sound.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Another important part of the whole bluegrass game…is doing pull offs.…And, this is true of old time music too,…and just a lot of music, in general.…It's kinda the opposite of the hammer-on.…Instead of hammering on to a note, you're pulling off,…and when I say pull off,…in certain cases, you'll actually push off,…but they're called pull offs.…And, to begin,…let's get to the second fret of the first string,…and pull down, but you want that snap.…Do you hear how clear that second note is?…(banjo strumming)…It's as loud as the first note,…which is ideally what your pull offs will be.…
Again, you're not hitting it the second time.…Just hit it once,…step away from the banjo.…Actually, we'll keep your hand down, but…sorry.…So what I'm doing, I'm going,…on the forward roll.…(banjo strumming)…Little more slowly.…(banjo strumming)…Now, let's try to one the zero pull off…on the second string.…
This is a little harder.…You wanna get under the string and snap it.…In fact, in the old days,…back in this classic era of banjo playing…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Separating notes
- Playing with others
- Using the capo
- Playing hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Playing variations on classic tunes
- Minding your posture
- Training your ear
- Building speed
Skill Level Beginner
1. Playing with Others
2. Basic Embellishments
3. Variations on Basic Tunes
4. Posture and Ear Training
5. Playing Up the Neck and Building Speed
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.