Bluegrass is a very jam-centric genre and for many banjo players learning this style of playing, the intent is to take their skills into a jam setting to play with other musicians. There are certain unwritten rules, dynamics and guidelines that will help you achieve the success you desire in group playing situations. Tony will help you understand how this all works to give you the edge in a group setting.
- So, you can just do something like this…if you're really, just to get started like if you're…playing Boiling Cabbage Down…and someone else can play a break on it…and you need to back them up,…you could just, without doing anything fancy just hit…the fourth string, and then pick the first three strings…so you're using your thumb twice,…these would be quarter notes,…pick the first three strings together as a chord.…
So you could go G, and then do it on the C chord,…G, D7th,…G, C…G, D7th,…just something like that is plenty,…gets you in there doing it.…Another thing that you can do…and this is getting a little fancier,…I've talked about the F chord before,…we used it a little bit on Boiling Cabbage Down,…(plays notes)…Right there, that little spot right there,…where you have your pinky…on the third fret of the first string,…your index on the first part of the second string,…now to get a fuller F chord put your middle…on the second fret of the third string,…and to really get it full put your ring finger…on the third fret of the fourth string.…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Separating notes
- Playing with others
- Using the capo
- Playing hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Playing variations on classic tunes
- Minding your posture
- Training your ear
- Building speed
Skill Level Beginner
1. Playing with Others
2. Basic Embellishments
3. Variations on Basic Tunes
4. Posture and Ear Training
5. Playing Up the Neck and Building Speed
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.