Bluegrass is a very jam-centric genre and for many banjo players learning this style of playing, the intent is to take their skills into a jam setting to play with other musicians. There are certain unwritten rules, dynamics and guidelines that will help you achieve the success you desire in group playing situations. Tony will help you understand how this all works to give you the edge in a group setting.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Another hugely important thing is the concept of…playing with other people.…Now, you may feel you're just getting started…and you're not ready to play with other people.…I have a student who's been playing for about two years,…and he's gotten very far along the way, and he still feels…like he's not quite ready yet.…Well, I had a chance to talk to Earl Scruggs about this,…and I said, "What would you say to a beginner?"…And he said, "Play with as many different people as you can.…Right from the beginning."…And I think Earl should know.…And I think what he's saying is even if you're just doing…simple chords, even if you're just strumming,…you can just play along with a guitar player.…
Or if, you know, play "Boil Them Cabbage Down"...…you must know someone who plays the guitar.…Or it could be a mandolin or even the piano,…and just have them, just strum the G quarter,…hit it on the piano, or whatever instrument they're playing.…(strumming)…Then have them strum on the C chord. Strum on the G chord.…And the D 7th.…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Separating notes
- Playing with others
- Using the capo
- Playing hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Playing variations on classic tunes
- Minding your posture
- Training your ear
- Building speed
Skill Level Beginner
1. Playing with Others
2. Basic Embellishments
3. Variations on Basic Tunes
4. Posture and Ear Training
5. Playing Up the Neck and Building Speed
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.