Join Tricia Woods for an in-depth discussion in this video Playing off the dominant chord and dominant bass line, part of Beginning Blues Keyboard.
- We can use dominant chords in our right hand…as well to add a whole lot of interesting…note choices and sounds to what…we might play in our right hand.…Here's a figure I call playing off the dominant chord.…We start this figure by playing the root,…fifth, and flat seventh of the chord.…Here it is in G.…G, D, F.…Then we're going to bring the fifth and seventh down…to become the fourth and the sixth, C and E.…
And finally resolve to the root third and fifth, G B D.…And we keep the root on the bottom the whole time.…You can just think of outlining…a G7 chord and then a G triad,…but with a passing chord in between.…Okay, let's try this on a C chord now.…We'll have C, G, and B flat, moving to C F A,…and then C E G.…
Okay, and we can play down the figure…and then back up.…How 'about on a D7 chord?…We'll have D, F sharp, and C.…I'm sorry, D, A, and C moving to D, G and B,…then D, F sharp, and A.…Okay?…Now our approach to playing through the form…changes a little bit.…
We have to play the dominant chord figure…that corresponds to whatever chord…
Note: This course was created and produced by Alfred Music. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Labeling the chord and triads
- Triad inversions
- The blues scale and the major pentatonic scale
- Playing off the dominant chord and dominant bass line
- Dominant chord inversions
- Playing off the triad
- Blues fills
- Endings and introductions
- Boogie-woogie bass lines
- Cycle of 5ths and the 6th chord
Skill Level Beginner
1. Blues Harmony
2. Blues Melodies
3. Dominant Chords
5. Turnarounds, Endings, and Introductions
Boogie-woogie bass lines4m 12s
7. Advanced Harmony: Slow Blues
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.