Join Jared Meeker for an in-depth discussion in this video Playing from chord sheets, part 2, part of Bass: Teach Yourself.
- All right, let's move on to playing from chord sheets.…So, it's really common as a bass player,…that you'll be given just a chord progression…by a songwriter, and you have to develop your own bass line.…So we're going to play through a bunch of different keys…so that you can find those roots.…But also, feel free to vary the rhythm,…however you're feeling at that moment.…We're going to do a call and response.…So I'll play the first time through,…and then I'll just mention the chords that they're going by…and you create whatever bass line you're feeling…at the moment using these roots of the chords.…
Here we go.…(drumsticks banging)…(mellow music)…G.…E minor.…A minor.…D 7.…And G.…All right, cool, let's do the next one,…which is in D major, here we go.…(drumstick banging)…(mellow music)…D major.…
B minor.…G major.…A 7.…And D.…All right, excellent, let's move onto the next one,…which is in A, here we go.…(drumsticks beating)…(mellow music)…A.…D.…A.…
E 7.…And A.…So notice I was skipping around,…even within one measure, to the different roots.…
Note: This course was created and produced by Alfred Music. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Buying a bass
- Tuning your bass
- Holding your bass
- Left-hand technique
- Getting acquainted with music and tablature
- Notes on the first three strings
- The natural minor scale
- Sharps and naturals
- Key signatures and the major scale
- Ties and quarter notes
- Rock bass and heavy metal licks with syncopation
- Playing chords
- Playing licks from the 1950s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Notes on the First Three Strings
3. More Notes, Scales, and Accidentals
4. Introducing Keys and Eighth Notes
5. New Rhythms, Techniques, and Keys
6. Playing Up the Neck and a New Key
7. New Rhythms and Keys
8. Chords and More
9. Licks from Different Eras
Conclusion and credits2m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.