Join Jared Meeker for an in-depth discussion in this video Playing from chord sheets, part 1, part of Bass: Teach Yourself.
- So now you know if you're playing…over a chord progression,…if some songwriter hands you a progression…that is a combination of a few different chords like…maybe C Major, A Minor, F Major,…that you can start to build your progression…or your bassline around those, you know.…(guitar chords)…So we'll get into this in much more detail.…First let's just isolate roots and learn really how…to build basslines on the root notes.…
So let's check out this first example which we're just…going to play long whole notes for each chord.…Here we go.…(tapping)…(long guitar chords)…All right, excellent.…
So that went from C Major to A Minor to D Minor to G7.…Let's do the same progression but now we'll play…half notes for each chord.…Here we go.…(tapping)…(guitar chords)…Excellent, now let's do quarter notes for each chord.…
Here we go.…(tapping)…(guitar music)…Excellent, now let's vary the rhythm a little bit…so you can move between quarter notes, half notes,…dotted half notes, and all these different types of things.…
Here we go.…(tapping)…
Note: This course was created and produced by Alfred Music. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Buying a bass
- Tuning your bass
- Holding your bass
- Left-hand technique
- Getting acquainted with music and tablature
- Notes on the first three strings
- The natural minor scale
- Sharps and naturals
- Key signatures and the major scale
- Ties and quarter notes
- Rock bass and heavy metal licks with syncopation
- Playing chords
- Playing licks from the 1950s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Notes on the First Three Strings
3. More Notes, Scales, and Accidentals
4. Introducing Keys and Eighth Notes
5. New Rhythms, Techniques, and Keys
6. Playing Up the Neck and a New Key
7. New Rhythms and Keys
8. Chords and More
9. Licks from Different Eras
Conclusion and credits2m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.