Lari uses the piano (keyboard or keys apps work for this lesson too) to show some great ways to understand musical relationships between notes, and how to use the instrument as a practice tool. She visually lays out music theory concepts in a way that makes them easier to understand.
- In this lesson is where you're going to really need…your piano, or your keyboard,…or your handy dandy piano app.…So make sure you've got that somewhere in the vicinity,…so you can use it as a reference…and work with it while we are exploring the piano.…The piano is a beautiful layout…to learn the theory of music,…because all the notes are laid out so clearly on the piano.…
Really, I think, more clearly than on any other instrument.…You can actually see and identify every note…that a human being is capable of singing.…It's especially good for singers,…because it covers every note any singer can sing.…And a little bit below, and quite a bit above.…So we're going to start just by identifying every note…by name on the piano.…
Because we'll be referring to these notes,…and from a lot of different angles, for the entire course.…We're going to start on the piano with middle C,…which is right smack dab in the middle of the keyboard.…Everybody can sing it, men and women,…kids of all ages, guys and girls.…(piano music)…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- The history of singing in human culture
- Reviewing the key ingredients needed to be ready to sing
- Understanding your vocal instrument
- Caring for your voice
- Building core strength
- Developing the correct mental approach to singing
- Key terms and vocabulary of the music language
- Using a piano to find the right key
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Understanding Your Vocal Instrument
3. Core Strength Building for Singers
4. Speaking the Language of Music
Mind: The thinking singer3m 37s
5. Using a Piano to Find the Right Key
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.