Improve strength, muscle memory and access to more notes by expanding the Pentatonic scales up the neck into the second position. Learning closed position scales allows moveable shapes that work around the neck. This lesson teaches the key of A.
- This A pentatonic major scale form…is probably the most used pentatonic scale form…of everything I've shown you,…and if you learn anything,…this is so important,…this one here, for how you can…play up and down the neck,…and we'll get into the specifics of this later,…but right now we're gonna look at the form,…and how your fingers fall on the frets,…and review all our concepts that we've got going…with four fingers, four frets,…and you're licking all the notes,…and so starting from A,…and getting all the notes on all six strings.…
From the pentatonic, from our root note,…the next note down will be a six,…the sixth degree, which is F sharp,…and working our way up.…(guitar strumming)…There's the top of it, working our way down.…(guitar strumming)…One more time slowly.…
(guitar strumming)…There's A.…(guitar strumming)…And back to A.…Then once again, the form of what this scale is,…and we're gonna get into sort of the hows and whys…a little bit later,…and into the advanced, it's gonna show up again.…
But this is such a useful chord, or a scale form…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Intermediate bluegrass guitar techniques
- Intermediate fretting
- Hammer-ons and pull-offs in G, C, and D
- Intermediate rhythm exercises
- Playing intermediate bluegrass tunes
- Opening up the fretboard with expanded scales and chord exercises
Skill Level Beginner
1. Intermediate Right and Left Hand Technique
2. Intermediate Rhythm and Concepts
3. Intermediate Bluegrass Tunes 1
4. Expanded Scales to Open Up the Fretboard
5. Fretboard Expansion Exercises
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.