Improve strength, muscle memory and access to more notes by expanding the Pentatonic scales up the neck into the second position. Learning closed position scales allows moveable shapes that work around the neck. This lesson teaches the key of D.
- Alright, the D Major Pentatonic…is the third major pentatonic scale form we're gonna look at…that, and these are all forms that are so important…for every flat picker to know,…as they apply directly to playing tunes.…And so jumping right in, we're gonna just,…here's D is on the fifth fret,…I mean the fifth fret of the fifth string.…We're gonna put our pinky there,…we're gonna put our four fret access, so…there's a little bit of a pattern right there.…
And then moving our way on up.…Moving on up.…There's the basic form.…And one of the reasons this is important,…and I showed you in the Major D Closed Position…from this D Major scale, how this chord position is formed.…
And essentially, as we get up to working on the fingerboard,…this is gonna be a very useful shape in the future.…So, you know, if you do anything, commit to this one.…And one of these other ones I'm gonna show you,…but here's how like musically, just from this view,…as we commit to a left hand look at the neck like that,…and you know, if we can get a grab all these notes, then,…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Intermediate bluegrass guitar techniques
- Intermediate fretting
- Hammer-ons and pull-offs in G, C, and D
- Intermediate rhythm exercises
- Playing intermediate bluegrass tunes
- Opening up the fretboard with expanded scales and chord exercises
Skill Level Beginner
1. Intermediate Right and Left Hand Technique
2. Intermediate Rhythm and Concepts
3. Intermediate Bluegrass Tunes 1
4. Expanded Scales to Open Up the Fretboard
5. Fretboard Expansion Exercises
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.