Mike teaches the students an exercise on minor chord progressions. His technique involves temoloing the minor chords, and then a strumming pattern. Down up, down up with hits on the first three strums and a rest on the last.
- Okay, let's try and play with these chords a little bit…and I'll have a little exercise for you…to experiment with G Minor and C Minor.…Now the D chord we're gonna leave…as a major D chord…because in the key of G,…G would be the one,…C Minor would be the four…and D would remain in its regular major position.…So one of the things I like to do…is tremolo when I hit a minor chord.…(mandolin playing)…Let's do that together.…
Just tremolo that G Minor with me.…Now move to the C Minor.…Now tremolo the D.…And back to the G.…It's tricky, you just have to get that wrist…to be very loose,…strumming all four strings…on the G, but on the C Minor remember…just strumming the,…we're just playing the bottom three.…Now on the D we're playing all four…and back to G.…
Now let's put a little rhythm to it.…Remember the strum we had where it was base notes?…So it's fourth string, da-da, third string, da-da.…Four, da-da, three, da-da.…Down up, down up.…Base, down up, base, down up.…Now go to the C Minor,…base down up.…Probably just play the same base note for that C chord.…
Note: This course is one of a 4-part series created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Sitting and standing with the mandolin
- Tuning a mandolin
- Positioning the right and left hands
- Strumming open chords
- Playing two-finger chords and melodies
- Playing beginner mandolin tunes
- Finding minor and moveable chords
- Playing 7th chords
- Playing chop chords
- Picking on the mandolin
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right and Left Hand Fundamentals
3. Beginner Mandolin Tunes
4. Theory and Exercises
5. Chops and Picking
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.