Join Cliff Goldmacher for an in-depth discussion in this video Make sure your song isn't too long, part of One-Minute Songwriting Tips.
- Make sure your song isn't too long.…Whether it's fair or not,…the industry will judge your song by how long it is.…Brevity is essential.…I am not suggesting cutting out…any important parts of your song,…but be very sure that what you leave in…is exactly what you need.…In other words, instead of writing a third verse…ask yourself if there's a way…you can combine the necessary information…into the first two verses.…The key here is to absolutely maximize…the amount of space that you have…and not get a little bit lazy…and just write an extra verse…or make your song long when it doesn't have to be.…
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length
Skill Level Beginner
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.