Join Cliff Goldmacher for an in-depth discussion in this video Make each verse line further your story, part of One-Minute Songwriting Tips.
- Make each verse line further your story.…Often in the songwriting process,…we get in the flow and write quite a bit…before we stop and reflect.…This is often a wonderful thing and should be honored.…The risk though is that we might not notice…that we've been saying the same thing…in a slightly different way over and over.…While I would never suggest slowing down the creative flow,…I would highly recommend being ruthless after the fact,…and revising any line in your verses…that doesn't further your song's story in some way.…
You've got a very limited amount of space in a song…to say what you need to say.…Don't dilute it by saying something more than once.…
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length
Skill Level Beginner
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.