Improve strength, muscle memory and access to more notes by expanding the major scales up the neck into the second position. Learning closed position scales allows moveable shapes that work around the neck. This lesson covers the key of C.
- We'll move the same concept of trying to grab…as many C major scale notes within this closed position.…We'll stay basically in that same form,…working off the second fret.…Let's start with a G, they'll notify,…we'll figure out, here's our C.…We're gonna start there, I'll show you that.…There's C, and then in keeping with our six-string concept,…in our access here, we'll start with this G below it.…(strumming guitar)…So there's your first little group of notes.…
So as it climbs, the scale degrees,…(strumming guitar)…there's your root, one.…(strumming guitar)…Now we have a bit of a choice to make right here,…and some of these are gonna stretch.…But, let's not move past our pinky right now,…and we're gonna add a bit of a stretch…to get to this F note.…(strumming guitar)…We're gonna go back to the first fret…so there's: (strumming guitar)…One of the strengths that is developed…from playing acoustic music, steel string acoustic guitar,…is that these stretches like this,…you know, it's gonna hurt for a while.…
It's such a powerful thing to be able to do…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Intermediate bluegrass guitar techniques
- Intermediate fretting
- Hammer-ons and pull-offs in G, C, and D
- Intermediate rhythm exercises
- Playing intermediate bluegrass tunes
- Opening up the fretboard with expanded scales and chord exercises
Skill Level Beginner
1. Intermediate Right and Left Hand Technique
2. Intermediate Rhythm and Concepts
3. Intermediate Bluegrass Tunes 1
4. Expanded Scales to Open Up the Fretboard
5. Fretboard Expansion Exercises
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.