Mike Marshall teaches the classic old tune I am a This Little Light of Mine. Mike breaks the song down bar by bar and explains the chords used and the melody line for the song. There are backing tracks available for this song to play along to
- Okay.…You're gonna spend a lot of your time playing bluegrass…where you're playing a vocal tunes…and so, one of the beautiful things…that many mandolin players and fiddle players do…is they try to imitate the sound of the voice.…Now of course, the voice doesn't have frets,…so we've got this dilemma of how do we make something…that's fretted sound like it's un-fretted.…And we do that by sliding into notes.…It's the best we can do.…We can't get all the inflection that a violin would get…with vibrato and all those things,…but we can do a pretty good job of imitating…the sound of the voice if we slide into notes.…
So we're gonna take a little tune like…This Little Light of Mine, very simple little folk song.…♫ This little light of mine…♫ I'm gonna let it shine…♫ This little light of mine…♫ I'm gonna let it shine…♫ This little light of mine…♫ I'm gonna let it shine…♫ Let it shine…♫ Let it shine…♫ Let it shine…So I'm really sliding into very specific notes,…the strong beats basically.…
The opening note is an A note and I slide right into it…
Note: This course is one of a 4-part series created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Sitting and standing with the mandolin
- Tuning a mandolin
- Positioning the right and left hands
- Strumming open chords
- Playing two-finger chords and melodies
- Playing beginner mandolin tunes
- Finding minor and moveable chords
- Playing 7th chords
- Playing chop chords
- Picking on the mandolin
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right and Left Hand Fundamentals
3. Beginner Mandolin Tunes
4. Theory and Exercises
5. Chops and Picking
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.