The hardest part of songwriting is sitting down to write. Just the simple act of sitting down makes everything after that easier. says industry pro Cliff Goldmacher in this songwriting tutorial.
- [Narrator] I'm going to begin this songwriting … motivation course with a tip that should seem … both obvious and easy, … when in fact it's neither. … I'm going to paraphrase one of my favorite writers, … Dorothy Parker, who said writing is the act of applying … the butt to the seat. … In other words, just sit down and write. … It's amazing how just getting to that place … where you block out all those other distractions … and sit down to do the writing is the hardest thing. … But once you've done that, the writing happens. … So when in doubt, just sit down and get started writing. … …
- Sitting down to write
- Finding inspiration in literature
- Making it personal
- Overcoming fear
- Finding the best time to write
- Learning the business of music
- Learning from peers
- Finding a collaborator
- Building your catalog
- Performing your songs live
- Pitching your songs
- Being persistent and resilient
- Balancing patience and impatience
- Remembering your motivation
- Counting your blessings
- Writing what moves you
Skill Level Beginner
Songwriting Techniques with Chordswith Julian Velard2h Intermediate
1. Songwriting Pointers
2. Songwriting Career Tips
3. The Big Picture
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.