Smooth transitions and right hand picking technique are main points of focus in this lesson on the classic tune Jimmy Brown. Bryan also notes that the boom chuck, hammer-ons, and keeping a loose but rhythmic feel are key in this song.
- One of the pioneers of a flatpicking guitar…and the concept of lead acoustic guitar…in country and bluegrass was Maybelle Carter.…And she had a particular style of combining…rhythm and lead lines,…and a lot of it works great for what…we're trying to build here as far as…good flatpicking technique.…We talk about smooth transitions…and a rhythmic sort of right hand or right picking hand.…And so a song I've chosen here is Jimmy Brown,…Jimmy Brown the Newsboy, is sometimes the way you see it…on Cds.…
Flatt and Scruggs had a real popular cut…on this song and the melody,…this sort of sets up as a good, it's a solo piece…because you know, Maybelle Carter…was able to employ a lot of rhythm…and lead lines in her playing.…You can, it's important to us these days…because it sorta can give us solo pieces,…a lot of these flatpicking fiddle tune…type things, you know, really good with rhythm players,…but this is some stuff that we can work on by ourself.…And it's great for where we are right now…with this basic version because…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 1
5. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.