Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- Playing with both hands
- Basic jazz vocabulary
- Practicing pentatonics using approach patterns
- Combining bop scales, pentatonics, and approach patterns
- Adding guide tones
- Building a motif around a combination of notes
Skill Level Beginner
- Hi, this is George Whitty. Welcome to my jazz piano course, level two. In this level, we are working on some two-handed harmony, which is something that we spend about 75% of our time on a bandstand doing because we're playing chords, comping as we call it, behind a soloist or behind the melodies of the tune, and that's the place where we learn a lot of really nice, kind of dense, sophisticated jazz harmonies. Well, we're going to get started on that. We're also going to learn the pentatonic scale, which is a different sound, something that you can have a lot of fun with.
We're going to take all that stuff, we're going to combine it with some talk about time and about swing feel and then we're going to get that together on the F blues as well. So, let's get started. Good luck with this and enjoy the course.
1. Playing with Both Hands
Two-handed voicings: Part 24m 22s
2. Basic Jazz Vocabulary
3. Pentatonic Scales
4. Putting It All Together: Combining Scales, Pentatonics, and Patterns
5. Adding More to Your Playing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.