In Part 1 of this lesson, Jeannie begins to maximizing what the body needs to do as part of the natural breathing process when you are singing. Jeannie brings on a guest to help illustrate the exercise, and walks the students through each step. She then coaches the students through the exercise.
- View Offline
- In this lesson we're going to focus on the very first…exercise that will begin maximizing what the body needs…to do as part of the natural breathing process…when you're singing.…I'm gonna bring on someone, Novi.…Say hi.…- Hi.…- Ha ha.…And I'm gonna use her to demonstrate it so you actually…have a visual on the steps of the exercise.…So the first thing we'll do is just go through…the overall form and then I'll give you details about it…and then I'll coach you through a number of repetitions…and then we'll go through some other details so that…you can get the best out of your own practicing.…
Okay, first is, make sure that your head…is essentially level.…I don't want you to be looking up,…which will stretch these muscles…and make some tension in your throat.…Nor dipping down, which ends up, you can try it,…when you do this you feel like a pressure in here,…so we want to keep the chin giving enough distance here…you know, in your throat,…so that the muscles remain relaxed.…The other thing is to stand on both feet, equally.…
Note: The course is part 2 of the Vocal Lessons with Jeannie Deva series, recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Improving breath management
- Relaxing your stomach
- Practicing rib cage exercises
- Using songs as warm-ups
- Strengthening your voice with lip trills and nose buzz
- Improving pitch and resonance
- Nailing song phrasing, timing, and dynamics
- Moving from practice to performance