Mike Marshall teaches the classic old tune I am a Pilgrim. Mike breaks the song down bar by dar and explains the chords used and the melody line for the song. There are backing tracks available for this song to play along to
- Okay, now we're gonna do a tune that…starts on the five chord.…So again for the key of D: D, E, F, G, and A…A is the five chord.…This tune is in the key of D, but it's gonna start on the A.…I Am A Pilgrim,…and we'll do it at a nice slow tempo,…I think we're at 60 here,…it's kind of a bluesy thing.…We're starting on the A,…then we're at the D,…then we're gonna be on the G,…and back to the D,…and then a little A,…D,…G,…D,…A,…and back to D,…and again you can use any of the A chords…I showed you earlier.…
Either this bar one, or the one that's bar just…the low two strings, with these strings ringing.…Or just a reminder there's this one here at the sixth fret…low string and the second fret third string.…Some people use their pinky for that one.…That's another way to play an A.…You can use anyone you want, I like to switch them around,…depending on each verse, I'll use different…ones just for fun.…So here we go, I Am A Pilgrim.…
We'll do it three times through.…A,…here comes D,…start thinking about the G because it's coming right here,…
Note: This course is one of a 4-part series created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Sitting and standing with the mandolin
- Tuning a mandolin
- Positioning the right and left hands
- Strumming open chords
- Playing two-finger chords and melodies
- Playing beginner mandolin tunes
- Finding minor and moveable chords
- Playing 7th chords
- Playing chop chords
- Picking on the mandolin
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right and Left Hand Fundamentals
3. Beginner Mandolin Tunes
4. Theory and Exercises
5. Chops and Picking
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.