Tony teaches you how to get some extra special effect sounds using the rhythmic aspect of your banjo playing to integrate percussive sounds by hitting your picks on the banjo head. This is a fun technique to experiment and get creative with.
- Alright, now that we're up and…running with some playing,…playing some rolls,…picking a little bit,…one of the things you may find yourself doing…is hitting the head with the picks.…This is a not uncommon problem,…in fact, you may not be aware that you're doing that,…but tune into your playing and…make sure you're not doing that,…and if you are, what I used to tell my students originally,…many years ago, was like when you go to the doctor…and say "doctor, every time I do this, it hurts."…The doctor says, "Don't do that."…That's a Henny Youngman joke.…
Anyway, and people would have varying degrees of…success with that, and then I gave a workshop…up in Toronto, Canada and…a wonderful banjo player and wonderful human being,…a guy named Ian Perry, who writes for Banjo Newsletter,…which you should all subscribe to,…told me what his technique was,…and what he said was,…when you're picking, just start picking so you're not,…you're sort of air picking,…you're not quite hitting the strings,…and then come down,…so you're just barely hitting the strings.…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Separating notes
- Playing with others
- Using the capo
- Playing hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Playing variations on classic tunes
- Minding your posture
- Training your ear
- Building speed
Skill Level Beginner
1. Playing with Others
2. Basic Embellishments
3. Variations on Basic Tunes
4. Posture and Ear Training
5. Playing Up the Neck and Building Speed
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.