"Hand Me Down My Walking Cane" is a folk song written in 1880 and in this lesson Mike will break the basic rhythm of the tune down for you in the key of D. This is a typical key to play the tune at a jam to accommodate a higher voice like that of a female singer.
- [Instructor] Alright ladies, we're gonna do…Hand Me Down My Walking Cane now in the key of D.…It might be a better key for your voice.…Of course, I'm not going to be able to sing it up that high.…Sorry to say, oh I could but it might be a comedy skit.…So I'm gonna sing it down low, down a low octave.…♫ Hand me down my walking cane ♫…But you ladies will be singing it way up here.…♫ Hand me down my walking cane…♫ Hand me down my walking cane ♫…(laughs) It is pretty funny, isn't it?…♫ Hand me down my walking cane…♫ I'm gonna leave on the morning train…♫ My sins, they have all been taken away ♫…Yeah, so we gotta have a guy key and a ladies key,…and I'm hoping that the key of D will work…for a lot of you ladies.…
So the key of D, we're gonna start on a D chord.…♫ Hand me down my walking cane ♫…In the A chord, I'm simply going to a double bar here…at the A chord which is A and E on the bottom two strings.…And open A and E on the upper ones.…And that's a great chord,…it's a open chord, it doesn't have…the third of the chord doesn't exist in that chord.…
Note: This course is one of a 4-part series created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Sitting and standing with the mandolin
- Tuning a mandolin
- Positioning the right and left hands
- Strumming open chords
- Playing two-finger chords and melodies
- Playing beginner mandolin tunes
- Finding minor and moveable chords
- Playing 7th chords
- Playing chop chords
- Picking on the mandolin
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right and Left Hand Fundamentals
3. Beginner Mandolin Tunes
4. Theory and Exercises
5. Chops and Picking
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.