Join Jared Meeker for an in-depth discussion in this video Getting acquainted with music, part of Bass: Teach Yourself.
- [Instructor] Getting acquainted with music.…Notes.…Musical sounds are indicated by symbols called notes.…Their time value is determined by their color,…white or black, and by stems and flags attached to the note.…The staff.…The name and pitch of the notes…are determined by the note's position on…a graph made of five horizontal lines…and the spaces in between called the staff.…
The notes are named after the…first seven letters of the alphabet, A through G,…repeated to embrace the entire range of musical sound.…You may want to use this simple memorization trick…to remember the notes.…On the lines, Good Boys Do Fine Always.…In the spaces, All Cows Eat Grass.…Measures and Bar Lines.…
Music is also divided into equal parts called measures.…One measure is divided from another by a bar line.…Clefs.…Music for the bass is written in the bass clef.…The symbol for the bass clef…is derived from the old German way of writing the letter F.…Two dots straddle the fourth line of the staff.…And this line is indeed the note F.…
Note: This course was created and produced by Alfred Music. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Buying a bass
- Tuning your bass
- Holding your bass
- Left-hand technique
- Getting acquainted with music and tablature
- Notes on the first three strings
- The natural minor scale
- Sharps and naturals
- Key signatures and the major scale
- Ties and quarter notes
- Rock bass and heavy metal licks with syncopation
- Playing chords
- Playing licks from the 1950s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Notes on the First Three Strings
3. More Notes, Scales, and Accidentals
4. Introducing Keys and Eighth Notes
5. New Rhythms, Techniques, and Keys
6. Playing Up the Neck and a New Key
7. New Rhythms and Keys
8. Chords and More
9. Licks from Different Eras
Conclusion and credits2m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.