Lari goes over the key ingredients needed to be ready to sing. She helps to prepare you mentally and physically for the act of singing, sharing some warm up activities for breathing and focus that get you ready to sing.
- So, um, I'm going to ask you for this…to kick your shoes off. We're going to let go of our shoes,…so that we can really feel the earth beneath us.…I practice a lot of yoga. I have found,…I mean I've sung since I was four years old.…I discovered yoga as a young adult,…and the more I learn about yoga,…the more useful I find it as a singer.…And the mountain pose, which is one of the most simple,…fundamental yoga poses, when I first was taught the mountain…pose, it was like a light bulb going off in my head.…
Oh, this is the most comfortable pose for me as a singer.…I had already kind of naturally discovered…the mountain pose. I didn't really pay attention…to what I was doing, I hadn't gotten into the details…of how to focus my attention on all the different parts…of making this pose until I got deep into yoga.…And now I use the mountain pose…intentionally as a preparation for singing.…I use it as my foundational stance.…
So in mountain pose, you are the mountain.…You make your body the mountain.…And that involves aligning your spine,…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- The history of singing in human culture
- Reviewing the key ingredients needed to be ready to sing
- Understanding your vocal instrument
- Caring for your voice
- Building core strength
- Developing the correct mental approach to singing
- Key terms and vocabulary of the music language
- Using a piano to find the right key