Every voice has a unique physical makeup. Finding the right key for your voice can vary from song to song, depending on several factors. In this video, Lari shares some ways to best identify where your "sweet spot" is.
- So we've touched a little bit on melody,…what melody means, what it actually is in a song.…And that is a key ingredient to what I think is one…of the most important decisions a singer ever makes.…Finding the right key.…You know, unlike a guitar player…or a piano player,…a singer can't always sing a song in any key.…You know, most instrumentalists can transpose…a melody in a song into whatever key…they want to play it in.…
But a singer is limited by what their range is.…And we touched a little bit on that as well.…Your range is the notes that you can actually…physically produce in a useful, controllable,…meaningful way as a vocalist.…So from your lowest useful note…to your highest useful note,…that determines your range.…And depending on how wide a range the melody it has,…the notes that are actually contained in the melody,…that will determine what is the best key for you.…
Now most singers can choose at least several different keys…and sing a song within a spectrum, a range of keys.…But at some point they're going to reach a key…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- The history of singing in human culture
- Reviewing the key ingredients needed to be ready to sing
- Understanding your vocal instrument
- Caring for your voice
- Building core strength
- Developing the correct mental approach to singing
- Key terms and vocabulary of the music language
- Using a piano to find the right key