Mike teaches his students how to find minor chords and make them from major chords. The technique is simple, just find the third note of any chord, and flat it. on the mandolin, just move the third note down one fret on the neck of the instrument.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Mike] Okay, it's time to start talking…about minor chords.…I'm going to now show you the G, the C, and the D…and I'm gonna show you how…to transform those into minor chords.…Right now, they're major chords.…A minor chord has a flat third in it.…Without getting deep into the theory…of what all that means,…simply bring your first finger back one fret.…From the B note to a B flat note,…from the second fret to the first fret…and you've got yourself a beautiful G minor chord.…
It's that spooky sound.…(haunting banjo music)…Now, you do the same thing with the C chord.…You've got this two finger C.…If you simply bring the first finger back,…one fret to the first fret,…you've got a C chord.…Now the thing with this is you can't let…the E string ring open.…I would play this just the bottom three strings…when you play this C minor.…Don't even play the top string,…unless you can bar the third fret.…
If you can find a way to bar that…then it's okay.…But otherwise,…just mute that top string.…The way I mute, is I bring the,…when I'm playing the third fret, second string,…
Note: This course is one of a 4-part series created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Sitting and standing with the mandolin
- Tuning a mandolin
- Positioning the right and left hands
- Strumming open chords
- Playing two-finger chords and melodies
- Playing beginner mandolin tunes
- Finding minor and moveable chords
- Playing 7th chords
- Playing chop chords
- Picking on the mandolin
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right and Left Hand Fundamentals
3. Beginner Mandolin Tunes
4. Theory and Exercises
5. Chops and Picking
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.