Mike teaches and plays the classic fiddle tune "Devils Dream". Right away Mike turns the first lick of the tune into an exercise by repeating the phrase over and over like a speed building exercise. He then proceeds to break down the rest of the tune in its entirety, giving helpful tips along the way.
- Alright, let's play the classic fiddle tune,…Devil's Dream now.…Nice and easy.…It's go a very cool little opening thing.…(strumming)…That's an exercise unto itself, right there.…Just playing those three notes, nice and clean.…I'll would just repeat that…till you're really happy with it.…You need that independence.…Try to bring the tempo up, and then bring it back down,…and make sure that G-sharp is sounding nice and clear,…'cause that's the upstroke,…and make sure that open E is also strong.…
That's what I do sometimes, is I check on the notes…that aren't the strong beats,…and make sure they're just as strong as the strong beats.…'Cause your downs are always gonna be solid.…There's something about that thumb going through the pick,…that's just gonna drive that string,…and then pulling with your index to pull up…is always gonna be lighter, so I almost consciously…try to create a little more pull on the up,…than I do on the down.…Try to lighten the down and exaggerate the up…and then that's gonna smooth things out.…
Note: This course is one of a 4-part series created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Sitting and standing with the mandolin
- Tuning a mandolin
- Positioning the right and left hands
- Strumming open chords
- Playing two-finger chords and melodies
- Playing beginner mandolin tunes
- Finding minor and moveable chords
- Playing 7th chords
- Playing chop chords
- Picking on the mandolin
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right and Left Hand Fundamentals
3. Beginner Mandolin Tunes
4. Theory and Exercises
5. Chops and Picking
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.