Moonlight Sonata, E Section, Measures 29 through the end of the piece are broken down and walked through. Hugh first teaches the right hand alone, then the left hand alone, followed by how to combine both hands. Notation is overlaid to help you follow along with the lines being taught.
- Now when you land here,…okay, we're going to actually do something fun.…The third finger in your bottom here, I wanna pivot…to a fifth finger.…It's not 100% necessary, but it's kinda cool…if you can, okay?…So when you play this, you're gonna pivot to a five.…Remember how we did that?…Hold the note down, push the other finger here,…and then release the other finger.…That's a pivot.…Push the other finger down, release.…
The reason I wanna do this is 'cause I wanna hold on to this…and then reach up and play the D.…So that we have two hands combined on one staff.…The stems that are going up are gonna be for the right hand,…the stems that are going down are for the left hand.…So watch how this is going to work at this very end here.…Pivot,…and then your left hand's gonna play this D,…and then the right hand will continue the pattern.…And it's kind of a seamless thing, alright?…So one more time, watch how this is gonna work…at the end here.…
Pivot.…Okay?…And of course, with the pedal down, that's why it's not…100% necessary, because you are pushing the pedal down.…
Each song is demonstrated at different tempos, so you can slowly increase your pace as you get more comfortable at the keyboard, and overlaid with notation, so you can read each line of music as it's taught. This training builds on the rest of the Piano Lessons series and is designed for all levels of pianists who want to learn to quickly play the music they love.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Reading sheet music: staff, bars, notes, rests, and important symbols
- Breaking songs down into sections and lines
- Playing the right hand and left hand separately and together
- Using the damper and sustain pedals
- Performing songs at different tempos
Skill Level Beginner
1. Sight-Reading Exercises
2. Bach, "Prelude in C Major"
3. Chopin, "Prelude in E Minor"
4. Gymnopedie No.1
5. "Moonlight Sonata"
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.