Jeannie coaches the student through the NG slides exercises. The option to sit or stand while following along to her on the piano is given to the student. The more times the student does this exercise, the more they will get out of it.
- View Offline
- Now it's your turn, I'll coach you through this. We're starting with N slides. And the first melody interval that we'll use. (hums melody) Alright so all you have to be doing, and you can actually do this seated or standing, your choice. You do breathe into your back before you begin. Tongue in an 'N' position, if you need to find it, just say nothing, nothing or none, none.
There it is. Tongue position, don't press, leave it gently touching and take a breath through your nose, begin. (hums melody) Keep it going. (piano melody) Don't hang on the top.
(hums melody) Tongue just stays fat. (hums melody) Yeah. (piano melody) Feel that buzz where your tongue is touching.
Take a breath. (piano melody) (hums melody) You don't have to start at the second that you hear the piano start. 'Cause you want to (note plays) hear the note and then know where you're starting. (hums melody) Keep it going.
(piano notes) One more. (hums melody) Alright, good, now we're gonna change it to the fifth. The wider interval, again just thinking this way, it'll be like this. (hums note) Go start here, begin. (hums note) Breath.
(hums notes) Listen to the note first, breath. (hums notes) That's right. (hums notes) Just think straight ahead. (hums notes) Feel the vibration.
(piano plays) Yeah. (hums notes) Feel the vibration where the tongue is touching. (hums notes) We're almost done. (hums notes) Let the back of your tongue stay relaxed. Easy on the volume, just enough to buzz.
(hums notes) Breath. (hums notes) Here's the last. (hums notes) Alright, good, now remember the more times you do this, you sort things out, watch the instructions, do the exercise, watch the instructions, do the exercise.
It takes doing it to perfect it and get the most out of it. Our next lesson will be the NG slides.
Note: Vocal Lessons with Jeannie Deva was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Keeping your voice limber with neck massage
- Practicing tongue exercises
- Correcting bad vocal habits
- Stretching and exercising the tongue with slides
- Warming up with lip trills
- Reducing vocal strain
- Improving vocal range