Jeanniec coaches the student through the final tongue exercise lesson. She instructs the student to stick their tongue out (pulling from the front, not pushing from the back) and make an "ahh" sound. The student should hold the "ahh" sound until they comfortably reach the end of their breath.
- So, open your mouth.…(inhales)…(sustained low note)…Tongue inside, tip against the back of your bottom teeth.…Take a breath, choose a higher pitch.…Not too much higher.…(inhales)…(sustained higher note)…Hear what happens if you pull.…
(sustained higher note quavers)…That's the tongue.…(sustained higher note)…Now, tongue out again.…(inhales)…(sustained low note)…Tongue inside, let it rest against the tip.…Rest against the back of the bottom teeth.…
Take a breath, choose a higher pitch.…You do it.…Okay, now we'll do the lower one.…Tongue out.…And, again you don't have to-…Sorry, your tongue is sticking out.…You don't have to match my pitch,…you can do whatever you want pitch-wise…as long as it's in your speaking range.…
(inhales)…(sustained low note)…Now we'll do the higher one.…(inhales)…(sustained higher note)…Okay, should start feeling more limber.…
If you want to do more, just start it from the beginning,…this lesson, or do it by yourself without the video.…What you're looking for is a relaxed tongue…not associated with your ah.…
Note: Vocal Lessons with Jeannie Deva was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Keeping your voice limber with neck massage
- Practicing tongue exercises
- Correcting bad vocal habits
- Stretching and exercising the tongue with slides
- Warming up with lip trills
- Reducing vocal strain
- Improving vocal range
Skill Level Beginner
1. Warming Up
2. Tongue Exercises and the La-Ga Series
3. Slides, Trills, and Tone
4. Quick-Fix Exercises
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.