This video provides a brief anthropological history of singing in human culture, and shares how we are all built with this ability. Singing is something that comes naturally, and this video helps to encourage and give some context to your journey as a singer.
- Okay, so, the name of this lesson is: Everybody Sings,…or A Brief Anthropological History of Singing.…(laughs)…And I know that's kind of a goofy title,…but I really do think about singing…as a part of our evolutionary process.…How we became human beings.…Everybody really does sing, we're designed,…we've evolved as human beings…to produce sounds with our bodies…so that we can communicate with one another.…
We're made that way, you can't escape it.…I'm sure there are at least a few of you out there…who have had an experience where…somebody in your life told you…"You can't sing," or "You shouldn't sing."…Maybe you started joining in and singing,…and your brother or you aunt or your friend…looked at you like, "Mm-mm, not so much.…"Maybe you should not try that."…but I'm here to tell you that…whoever told you that was just wrong.…
And you can sing, and you should sing.…I mean, to tell somebody they can't sing…is kind of like, if you see a little baby, a toddler…who's just beginning to learn how to walk, right?…And they've been crawling pretty well,…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- The history of singing in human culture
- Reviewing the key ingredients needed to be ready to sing
- Understanding your vocal instrument
- Caring for your voice
- Building core strength
- Developing the correct mental approach to singing
- Key terms and vocabulary of the music language
- Using a piano to find the right key
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Understanding Your Vocal Instrument
3. Core Strength Building for Singers
4. Speaking the Language of Music
Mind: The thinking singer3m 37s
5. Using a Piano to Find the Right Key
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.