Moonlight Sonata, E Section, Measures 23-25 are broken down and walked through. Hugh first teaches the right hand alone, then the left hand alone, followed by how to combine both hands. Notation is overlaid to help you follow along with the lines being taught.
- View Offline
- As we've seen with some songs that we've studied already,…sometimes the melody is not in the right hand.…And in this piece, the melody's actually gonna shift down…to the left hand.…So let's take a look at what we're doing here.…We just finished over here with an A,…thumb on an A, and third finger on the low D, okay?…Now, you're gonna hold this D, this lower D,…if you notice in the music,…is actually a whole note,…which is a very long value.…It's equivalent to holding it for the length…of four quarter beats.…
But the top of it,…(musical notes)…is only a dotted half note,…so, this is gonna hold for three beats,…two, three, and the fourth beat,…I'm keep my third finger stuck on the D…and then play…(musical notes)…before changing, sound familiar?…It's what the right hand was doing earlier,…but now the left hand thumb is taking that over, okay?…Hold that bottom note.…(musical notes)…See that, okay?…Now we're going to get ready to go to an octave.…(musical notes)…Hold that pinky down as long as you can.…
(musical notes)…See that?…
Each song is demonstrated at different tempos, so you can slowly increase your pace as you get more comfortable at the keyboard, and overlaid with notation, so you can read each line of music as it's taught. This training builds on the rest of the Piano Lessons series and is designed for all levels of pianists who want to learn to quickly play the music they love.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Reading sheet music: staff, bars, notes, rests, and important symbols
- Breaking songs down into sections and lines
- Playing the right hand and left hand separately and together
- Using the damper and sustain pedals
- Performing songs at different tempos