Mike teaches the students about down up picking and why it is such an integral part to the playing the mandolin properly. Mike uses the tune Whickey Before Breakfast to illustrate the importance of down up picking and keeping the pattern and motion solid.
- Okay, time for some more melodies.…I'm gonna focus now on the right hand,…and as you learn these tunes,…I'm gonna insist that you always…keep your right hand moving down up…down up, down up,…and it's a mistake I see in a lot of students,…where they'll get the pick going in the…wrong direction, sometimes for just one or two notes,…and it can really disrupt the flow of the rhythm,…and how the swing happens, so…we're gonna take a tune like "Whiskey Before Breakfast,"…down beat, down pick, up beat, up peak,…so if you have, boom, da da da da da,…boo da da da da da da,…I wanna hear down down up down up down,…down up down up down down.…
No matter what the string crossing is,…I want the pick direction to correspond…with the rhythm.…Some people, when they're playing, like,…on a D string, because the pick is falling…naturally towards the A, they'll get two…downs in a row, for instance,…at that moment in the tune, because the pick…just naturally falls there,…but I want you to be true, and the best…way to do that is just get the hand swing,…
Note: This course is one of a 4-part series created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Sitting and standing with the mandolin
- Tuning a mandolin
- Positioning the right and left hands
- Strumming open chords
- Playing two-finger chords and melodies
- Playing beginner mandolin tunes
- Finding minor and moveable chords
- Playing 7th chords
- Playing chop chords
- Picking on the mandolin
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right and Left Hand Fundamentals
3. Beginner Mandolin Tunes
4. Theory and Exercises
5. Chops and Picking
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.