Bryan teaches and performs a basic version of the tune Daley’s Reel at 65 beats per minute. This version is in B flat with a capo on the third fret. Note quality and playing the notes so they cascade and ring out are areas of importance covered in the con
- We're going to jump into the tune here…called "Daley's Reel."…It's a tune that I learned when I was a kid.…I heard a great band, the Carroll Best String Band…played this around Asheville, North Carolina.…It's a great tune.…You don't hear it a lot at jam sessions,…but it seems like it's gaining popularity.…I recorded this back three or four year ago…on a record called "Bluegrass Guitar,"…and present it here at the basic level,…and then we'll have two more levels beyond this,…as you work through here,…but it's a great tune and there's a good challenge…in this basic level.…
In talking about all our fret access…and there are four fingers to four frets,…there's a moment coming up in this tune that we'll get into,…but first I want to play this tune at 65 beats a minute.…Here's "Daley's Reel."…One, two, three, go.…(picks guitar with rhythm guitar and metronome clicks)…All right.…
That's "Daley's Reel" at 65 beats a minute at a basic level.…That's the bare bones melody of this tune,…and jump in real quickly to the A part.…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 1
5. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.