Moonlight Sonata, D Section, Measures 14-18 are broken down and walked through. Hugh first teaches the right hand alone, then the left hand alone, followed by how to combine both hands. Notation is overlaid to help you follow along with the lines being taught.
- Continuing on with our left hand octaves.…We last finished off with your left hand…on a d octave here.…We come to a tie, now the biggest challenge…is that you're gonna be jumping around…in octaves, okay.…So let's figure out what these notes are.…Maybe what we'll do is we'll start with your thumb perhaps.…Let's do your thumb alone.…The very next note will be the note above f clef f…which is a g, space up this is the b,…but there's a flat next to it so we do this.…Back down to g.…And then down to d, alright.…
It's a great way to practice, just all thumbs, ready.…Try this again.…(piano notes)…Tie g, b flat, g, d.…Alright, now you'll notice that as an octave.…You can pretty much keep your hand…locked in one shape once you get…familiar with how far an octave is…relative to your hand lock it in position,…don't get stiff, but you just wanna have…your fingers open to that distance, okay.…(piano chord)…And then g, b flat, back down to g, and then d, okay.…
And again, the pedal will take care…of connecting those gaps in between the jumps.…
Each song is demonstrated at different tempos, so you can slowly increase your pace as you get more comfortable at the keyboard, and overlaid with notation, so you can read each line of music as it's taught. This training builds on the rest of the Piano Lessons series and is designed for all levels of pianists who want to learn to quickly play the music they love.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Reading sheet music: staff, bars, notes, rests, and important symbols
- Breaking songs down into sections and lines
- Playing the right hand and left hand separately and together
- Using the damper and sustain pedals
- Performing songs at different tempos
Skill Level Beginner
1. Sight-Reading Exercises
2. Bach, "Prelude in C Major"
3. Chopin, "Prelude in E Minor"
4. Gymnopedie No.1
5. "Moonlight Sonata"
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.