Moonlight Sonata, C Section, Measures 9-14 are broken down and walked through. Hugh first teaches the right hand alone, then the left hand alone, followed by how to combine both hands. Notation is overlaid to help you follow along with the lines being taught.
- When we last left our heroic right hand,…we were playing F with the forefinger and A with the thumb,…and making out this chord pattern here, okay?…Let's take a look at the right hand alone…for the next few measures.…Here we go.…So you're playing the melody with that top note,…but always you're gonna have to play it again,…so you'll lift it and play it as needed.…The pedal will carry the sound through,…so don't worry about it too much.…Now you're gonna be moving up in progression…within those same notes.…The first two notes are the same,…and then you add this A over here, okay?…And again, don't worry about the F not holding through.…
The pedal will carry that sound.…Now we're gonna have another octave here,…and then this rhythm, okay?…See how that works?…Drop your hand if you want.…Now this moves up to a G, E flat,…do that three times, holding the pinky here.…Now here comes the octave again.…Fast note.…And we're back to an F over here.…
Let's just do that much one more time with the right hand.…Ready?…And...…And then up.…
Each song is demonstrated at different tempos, so you can slowly increase your pace as you get more comfortable at the keyboard, and overlaid with notation, so you can read each line of music as it's taught. This training builds on the rest of the Piano Lessons series and is designed for all levels of pianists who want to learn to quickly play the music they love.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Reading sheet music: staff, bars, notes, rests, and important symbols
- Breaking songs down into sections and lines
- Playing the right hand and left hand separately and together
- Using the damper and sustain pedals
- Performing songs at different tempos
Skill Level Beginner
1. Sight-Reading Exercises
2. Bach, "Prelude in C Major"
3. Chopin, "Prelude in E Minor"
4. Gymnopedie No.1
5. "Moonlight Sonata"
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.