Join Mike Marshall for an in-depth discussion in this video Bluegrass chop chords, part 2, part of Mandolin Lessons: 1 Fundamentals.
- Okay, now we're gonna take the whole thing up…half a step to the key of…B-flat or A-sharp.…But in bluegrass, we call it B-flat.…I believe it's at the same tempo…so the chords are now at B-flat and when you move over,…you're playing in E-flat…and when you move that up to the five chord,…it's an F.…B-flat.…E-flat…and F and back to B-flat.…
Let's try that with the guitar player.…("Bury Me Beneath The Willow")…E-flat.…B-flat.…F.…B-flat.…E-flat.…B-flat,…F.…B-flat.…I'll chop it with you, here we go.…
Get that barking sound, focus on the low strings.…Just the bottom two strings.…Even though you're holding the whole chord,…just play the bottom.…Muting, lifting your left hand in-between each chord…so you get that nice chop.…Should sound like a snare drum.…
I don't like to hear a lot of other stuff, like this.…It just muddies up the sound of the band.…The banjo player'll get upset with you.…And we don't want Tony getting upset, no, no, no.…It ain't pretty.…Okay, now, we're gonna go to the key of B,…gonna bring it up another half step and do the same thing.…
Note: This course is one of a 4-part series created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Sitting and standing with the mandolin
- Tuning a mandolin
- Positioning the right and left hands
- Strumming open chords
- Playing two-finger chords and melodies
- Playing beginner mandolin tunes
- Finding minor and moveable chords
- Playing 7th chords
- Playing chop chords
- Picking on the mandolin
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right and Left Hand Fundamentals
3. Beginner Mandolin Tunes
4. Theory and Exercises
5. Chops and Picking
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.