In Part 1 of this lesson on the Bluegrass chop chords, Mike goes over some of the primary functions of the mandolin in modern arrangements of tunes now. For example, the mandolin is usually playing rhythm, on the 2 and the 4 beat, like a snare drum would.
- Okay, let's start doing some bluegrass chop chords.…Now, the mandolin in a bluegrass band functions like a…snare drum in rock and roll or in country music.…It's often playing rhythm, you'll spend most of your time…playing rhythm, in fact.…You just have a break maybe once in each song.…So, a good part of your role in a bluegrass band is…playing rhythm, and so it's something to work on,…and there's a lot it, actually.…My favorite mandolin players all have incredible rhythm,…and the chop is a big part of it,…whether you're talking about David Grisman, or Sam Bush,…or Ronnie McCoury, any of the greats.…
The way they play their backbeats, and how it…propels the group, is really the heart and soul…of their mandolin playing.…So, we've taught you the open G chord,…where everything is ringing.…The open D and the open C, and it's almost more of a…folk way of playing the mandolin, or an old-timey way…of playing the mandolin.…One of the things that Bill Monroe invented…when he started playing the mandolin was…this version of G chord, which is a very long stretch…
Note: This course is one of a 4-part series created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Sitting and standing with the mandolin
- Tuning a mandolin
- Positioning the right and left hands
- Strumming open chords
- Playing two-finger chords and melodies
- Playing beginner mandolin tunes
- Finding minor and moveable chords
- Playing 7th chords
- Playing chop chords
- Picking on the mandolin
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right and Left Hand Fundamentals
3. Beginner Mandolin Tunes
4. Theory and Exercises
5. Chops and Picking
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.