The Hammer-on is a versitile left hand technique that is commonly used in most styles of playing. The technique involves hammering down a finger on the fretboard without plucking the string essentially giving you more notes for less work. Now that we've learned the basic technique and practiced it on a tune, Tony will apply this to another tune called "Mole in the Ground."
- Okay.…One more thing for hammer-ons, we're gonna go…into the key of C and just do another old time tune,…which is called Mole in the Ground.…Just a few more warm up moves here.…Here's your C, and by the way,…remember to keep that first string strong.…Just remember about the separation of notes…that we talked about,…just check yourself and make sure you're hitting…all the strings evenly, every single one of them.…And as I mentioned earlier,…just going back to Shady Grove for one more moment,…these slides and hammer-ons…(banjo music)…could be a little bit louder,…give them a little more emphasis to bring out the melody.…
♫ Shady grove my little love…♫ Shady grove…(banjo music)…Okay, going back to C, play your C chord.…This time, try a full C chord,…(banjo strums a C chord)…and now you're gonna hammer-on…on the fourth string of the C.…(banjo music)…Now, take your middle finger, while you hold down…the first two strings of the C chord, and…bring the middle finger, which was on the fourth string,…hammer it on on the third string.…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Separating notes
- Playing with others
- Using the capo
- Playing hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Playing variations on classic tunes
- Minding your posture
- Training your ear
- Building speed
Skill Level Beginner
1. Playing with Others
2. Basic Embellishments
3. Variations on Basic Tunes
4. Posture and Ear Training
5. Playing Up the Neck and Building Speed
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.