The Hammer-on is a versitile left hand technique that is commonly used in most styles of playing. The technique involves hammering down a finger on the fretboard without plucking the string essentially giving you more notes for less work. Now that we've learned the basic technique, Tony will apply this to a variation of "Shady Grove" that will give you something musical to practice with.
- Now here's a tune called "Shady Grove" which is…one of my favorite old-time bluegrass and mountain tunes.…Integrating the alternating thumb slide roll,…you just keep seeing these rolls, they just keep recurring…with slides, with hammer-ons,…and soon we'll be talking about pull-offs.…This really starts giving you some of those characteristic…sounds of bluegrass that are ever so lovely.…So here's "Shady Grove" for you.…(banjo music)…Eventually you might wanna get it out about that fast.…
It'll take a little while, but you'll get there.…It starts with, the song is…(singing and playing banjo) "Shady grove my true love,…"shady grove my darlin'"…"Shady grove my true love, I'm going back to Harlan"…You're really bringing out the melody with these hammer-ons…and with the slide, so you're going…"Shady grove" because when you sing 'shady' you don't…go "shady!". You kind of give a little blues-y…slide in there or a glissando.…
(singing and playing banjo) "Shady grove my true love,…"Shady grove my"…and here's a hammer-on with an alternating thumb roll.…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Separating notes
- Playing with others
- Using the capo
- Playing hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Playing variations on classic tunes
- Minding your posture
- Training your ear
- Building speed
Skill Level Beginner
1. Playing with Others
2. Basic Embellishments
3. Variations on Basic Tunes
4. Posture and Ear Training
5. Playing Up the Neck and Building Speed
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.