Jeannie breaks down the difference between having a vocal warm-up routine as opposed to just singing songs to get your voice ready for singing. She also goes over the different muscles that are exercised when singing, as well as the importance of getting to know your voice and how long it takes you to warm up.
- View Offline
- Many singers think that all…they need to do is sing some songs…and their voice will warm up eventually.…That may, or may not, be true.…Actually, if you were to use that…as your warm-up approach,…you might find that you need…to take a rest after singing…for a little while, or that,…in fact, you couldn't sing that long…without your voice getting tired.…Any athlete knows that prior to doing…whatever their Olympic feat is,…even running, that they need to stretch…and limber the muscles,…and that way the muscles are prepared…to do whatever you're gonna ask them to do.…
Your voice is made,…the sounds of it, are made…from different muscle actions,…most of which are internal.…So, maybe it's because we can't see…what's going on, and perhaps…because, we as singers, tend to associate…our personality with our voice,…it gets a little ethereal.…We don't realize that, you know,…it's the body that's making the sound…and we need to prepare it…so that it can do the best job possible for us.…
Resultantly, warm-ups are…their own thing,…and we're about to get into quite a number of them, for you,…
Note: Vocal Lessons with Jeannie Deva was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Keeping your voice limber with neck massage
- Practicing tongue exercises
- Correcting bad vocal habits
- Stretching and exercising the tongue with slides
- Warming up with lip trills
- Reducing vocal strain
- Improving vocal range
Skill Level Beginner
1. Warming Up
2. Tongue Exercises and the La-Ga Series
3. Slides, Trills, and Tone
4. Quick-Fix Exercises
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.