This lesson uses the Minuet in G Major by Bach as an exercise in reading standard notation to help you build fluency. Also covered is an overview on repeat symbols and how to work with them. Please use the notation attached to work with the lesson.
- This Bach Minuet in G Major is intended…as an exercise in reading standard music notation,…hopefully what you've learned up to this point…will help you to gain a certain level of fluency…in reading regular music notes.…So I want you to try this out, and see how you do.…Now keep in mind there are some new notations…that you might want to become familiar with.…The first is the type of repeats,…there are two kinds of repeats here.…You're gonna see a double line with some dots,…and you're gonna see first a number one box…on top of one set, and then a number two box…right after that.…
What that simply means is,…as you'll hear in the performance…if you're following along with the music as I play,…you'll hear that I go to first ending the first time…then go back to the beginning,…then as I play the second time I will skip…that number one box and then continue on the number two box.…Then the second section has its own set of repeat signs…that go towards each other, so just keep that in mind,…and do practice with the repeats…
Each song is demonstrated at different tempos, so you can slowly increase your pace as you get more comfortable at the keyboard, and overlaid with notation, so you can read each line of music as it's taught. This training builds on the rest of the Piano Lessons series and is designed for all levels of pianists who want to learn to quickly play the music they love.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Reading sheet music: staff, bars, notes, rests, and important symbols
- Breaking songs down into sections and lines
- Playing the right hand and left hand separately and together
- Using the damper and sustain pedals
- Performing songs at different tempos
Skill Level Beginner
1. Sight-Reading Exercises
2. Bach, "Prelude in C Major"
3. Chopin, "Prelude in E Minor"
4. Gymnopedie No.1
5. "Moonlight Sonata"
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.