Moonlight Sonata, B Section, Measures 5-8 are broken down and walked through. Hugh first teaches the right hand alone, then the left hand alone, followed by how to combine both hands. Notation is overlaid to help you follow along with the lines being taught.
- Now we're going to work on a section of…the piece where the right hand is gonna be…doing two things at the same time,…we've seen this before in other songs.…This is gonna be a little different in that…we're changing where the melody is.…Now it's gonna be where it normally is on the top.…So here's what's gonna happen, let me explain,…let me play the melody for you really quickly.…The melody is just one note.…(piano music)…Played in rhythm.…
While it's playing that melody note, it's gonna…be playing an accompanying figure…underneath it at the same time.…All right?…So, just take your time, let's pull this apart.…Ready, we're gonna play this together.…So now your pinky is the melody note,…so you wanna hold on to that pinky while you…play these three notes underneath it, okay?…Now, the right hand, the pinky has an…interesting rhythm, it has a dotted eighth to a 16th note.…
I don't wanna get too technical, too complicated,…with how this will work, let's just…simply put it this way.…Two, three.…We're just gonna put it in between the notes of…
Each song is demonstrated at different tempos, so you can slowly increase your pace as you get more comfortable at the keyboard, and overlaid with notation, so you can read each line of music as it's taught. This training builds on the rest of the Piano Lessons series and is designed for all levels of pianists who want to learn to quickly play the music they love.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Reading sheet music: staff, bars, notes, rests, and important symbols
- Breaking songs down into sections and lines
- Playing the right hand and left hand separately and together
- Using the damper and sustain pedals
- Performing songs at different tempos
Skill Level Beginner
1. Sight-Reading Exercises
2. Bach, "Prelude in C Major"
3. Chopin, "Prelude in E Minor"
4. Gymnopedie No.1
5. "Moonlight Sonata"
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.