Part two of an in depth walkthrough of how to play Gymnopedie No.1. Hugh takes you through the measures showing you the lines for both the left and right hands and how to combine them. He also teaches how to integrate the damper pedal to really bring the piece to life.
- The next items to practice in your left hand, of course,…are going to be those transitions…where you move away from the F sharp…and suddenly go into other chords.…(various chords)…All right?…So really take some time to study how this jumps.…(various chords)…Okay?…Worth practicing the left hand alone in those sections.…Take your time, but again, don't forget,…(piano chords) two, three,…use the third beat to move down.…
Two, three.…One, two, three, A.…Understand?…So use the third beats to find your place.…Good.…The only other things to watch out for are musical ideas.…When things change,…you want to heighten them a little bit more.…For example,…(lilting music)…we have the theme the first time, very delicate.…
You have the F sharp bell, let that ring.…Every time music comes back again,…there's an opportunity to do something special.…So here,…it's the same as the beginning, right?…Here it changes, doesn't it? (sad music)…So maybe play this a little darker,…a little bit more, that's...…
Look for this change to the D, watch out for that.…
Each song is demonstrated at different tempos, so you can slowly increase your pace as you get more comfortable at the keyboard, and overlaid with notation, so you can read each line of music as it's taught. This training builds on the rest of the Piano Lessons series and is designed for all levels of pianists who want to learn to quickly play the music they love.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Reading sheet music: staff, bars, notes, rests, and important symbols
- Breaking songs down into sections and lines
- Playing the right hand and left hand separately and together
- Using the damper and sustain pedals
- Performing songs at different tempos
Skill Level Beginner
1. Sight-Reading Exercises
2. Bach, "Prelude in C Major"
3. Chopin, "Prelude in E Minor"
4. Gymnopedie No.1
5. "Moonlight Sonata"
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.