Part two of an in depth walkthrough of how to play Prelude in E Minor. Hugh takes you through the measures showing you the lines for both the left and right hands and how to combine them. He also teaches how to integrate the damper pedal to really bring the piece to life.
- Now, okay, measure eight, let's continue,…but this time adding the right hand.…Now the right hand gets a little bit involved.…Measure eight, you recall the chords, alright?…We move down to the B, now the right hand plays this…G sharp which is tied to the next measure.…Okay?…Now, what I recommend is that you go to the A,…use a third finger, four, five, four, one to the E,…three, and then second finger here.…
Don't forget you're gonna be switching to a two…in the left hand.…Make sure you get this transition here.…It's kind of nice because you're both using second fingers…to make a transition.…Don't forget the change here.…Now you move back to one, two, four.…You can use a three if you want.…I would use a five here.…If you notice, this rhythm, the sixteenth note moves in…between the two eighth notes, eighth note chords…in the left hand.…
Now, I wanna ask you to move your hand to here,…so we're just gonna move your hand over to five on the G.…Okay, now let's take a look at the right hand note,…this beautiful solo.…
Each song is demonstrated at different tempos, so you can slowly increase your pace as you get more comfortable at the keyboard, and overlaid with notation, so you can read each line of music as it's taught. This training builds on the rest of the Piano Lessons series and is designed for all levels of pianists who want to learn to quickly play the music they love.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Reading sheet music: staff, bars, notes, rests, and important symbols
- Breaking songs down into sections and lines
- Playing the right hand and left hand separately and together
- Using the damper and sustain pedals
- Performing songs at different tempos
Skill Level Beginner
1. Sight-Reading Exercises
2. Bach, "Prelude in C Major"
3. Chopin, "Prelude in E Minor"
4. Gymnopedie No.1
5. "Moonlight Sonata"
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.