Mike gives an introduction on the mandolin. He talks about his Gibson F5 style mandolin from the early 20's. He also touches on the physical features of the instrument, and the importance of setting up your mandolin. Different pick styles are also covered and demonstrated in this lesson.
- Hello,…and welcome to the Mike Marshall School of Mandolin.…I'm so happy that you found us,…and I just love this idea that we're gonna be able…to share mandolin ideas with each other.…You'll be able to send me videos of you playing,…and I have quite a long curriculum planned…with all kinds of thoughts…about how to play this instrument.…And so I look forward to us…getting to know each other a little better,…and hopefully you'll learn some tips from me…through this modern technology.…
So hats off to ArtistWorks…for having such a clean and clear concept…of a new way of learning about music.…So, I'm playing an F-5 style Gibson mandolin.…This is one of those ones from the early '20s.…And it's what many American bluegrass musicians…choose to play, probably because Bill Monroe played one…as much as anything.…They're great-sounding mandolins.…(uptempo strumming)…One of the things they do about as well as anything…is play rhythm. (uptempo strumming)…It's really fun to play rhythm on these kind of mandolins.…
It's a carved top instrument,…
Note: This course is one of a 4-part series created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Sitting and standing with the mandolin
- Tuning a mandolin
- Positioning the right and left hands
- Strumming open chords
- Playing two-finger chords and melodies
- Playing beginner mandolin tunes
- Finding minor and moveable chords
- Playing 7th chords
- Playing chop chords
- Picking on the mandolin
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right and Left Hand Fundamentals
3. Beginner Mandolin Tunes
4. Theory and Exercises
5. Chops and Picking
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.