Join Jared Meeker for an in-depth discussion in this video The 3rd position, part of Bass: Teach Yourself.
- Alright, so now let's check out third position.…So all we need to do is just shift our index finger up…to the third fret and our hand is now a sign…so that the index is at the third fret,…middle finger's at the fourth fret,…ring finger's at the fifth, and the pinky's at the sixth.…And this allows you to play certain new notes…such as the C up here at the fifth fret of the G string.…such as the C up here at the fifth fret of the G string.…(plays guitar)…And that also gives us a new note of the standard notation.…
And that also gives us a new note of the standard notation.…It's the first leger line above the staff.…And also,…And also,…it allows you to play all these other notes…at the fifth fret.…(plays guitar)…That you would otherwise play as open strings.…So let's go through a few of those notes.…Open G is obviously played here.…(plays guitar)…But you can play that note on the fifth fret…of the D string as well.…(plays guitar)…The open D string is here, but you can play that same note…here at the fifth fret of the A string.…
Note: This course was created and produced by Alfred Music. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Buying a bass
- Tuning your bass
- Holding your bass
- Left-hand technique
- Getting acquainted with music and tablature
- Notes on the first three strings
- The natural minor scale
- Sharps and naturals
- Key signatures and the major scale
- Ties and quarter notes
- Rock bass and heavy metal licks with syncopation
- Playing chords
- Playing licks from the 1950s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Notes on the First Three Strings
3. More Notes, Scales, and Accidentals
4. Introducing Keys and Eighth Notes
5. New Rhythms, Techniques, and Keys
6. Playing Up the Neck and a New Key
7. New Rhythms and Keys
8. Chords and More
9. Licks from Different Eras
Conclusion and credits2m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.