Your song's structure is designed to create a progression and momentum in the way your song unfolds. Music producer Cliff Goldmacher in this songwriting training video reminds you that an effective song structure keeps your song moving forward at all times. It's also good to remember that most songs have a simpler structure than you would think.
- When it comes to song structure…it can be really helpful to think in terms…of the progression and momentum of your song.…The more that you think about keeping your song…moving forward at all times and not getting stalled…the better off you're going to be.…It's also important to realize that most songs…are simpler in structure than you would think.…And it really is your song's structure…that you'll be using to guide your listeners…from the beginning to the end of your song.…
- Writing lyrics that are conversational and natural
- Making every line count
- Putting your song's hook at the end of a chorus
- Creating simple and unique melodies
- Keeping song intros short and longer verses at the beginning of a song
Skill Level Beginner
1. Ten Rules for Lyrics
2. Five Rules for Melodies
3. Five Rules for Song Structure
Next steps1m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.